Thursday, February 15, 2007

Back in Baghdad

Big Air: C-17 Globemaster III
Got to fly in this giant bird, the C-17, with a bunch of soldiers deploying to the danger zone. A plane so big it’s like flying in an auditorium. It sure has a smooth landing though, perhaps because of its overbearing size.

I really like my new company. Since we will be armoring Bradleys, I am told I will get to learn how to drive a tank. How cool is that!!!

My home is now in Camp Stryker, near camps Victory and Liberty, vicinity Baghdad. This camp is growing by leaps and bounds; I’m guessing some of the troop surge will live here too. It’s so hilarious to hear politicians pretend we might be leaving when we just expand expand expand.

On the not so fun side, right now we are in tents and after the rain all last night we have water in the tent. Others in our crew had 2 inches of water on their tent floor. Mud gets EVERYWHERE. I really feel for the soldiers who are out in this stuff! But then again, in a month or so we won’t be seeing a cloud in the sky for a very long time.
Flying in the combat zone ~It's hard to smile in a chin strap~

5 Comments:

Blogger annegb said...

I'm glad you're back on-line. I enjoyed your posts before.

God bless.

6:43 AM PST  
Blogger Ernest said...

Thanks, Annebg, very nice to hear from you! Hope you are well...

9:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ernie, I am so glad you made it back to your second home. Can't wait to hear more of your antics and adventures...kinda wish I was there again..(hmmm, maybe not??) anyway, keep the blogs a comin and say hi to Schloss if you see him. Later bro, Nick.

1:31 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, good picture :) ...oh, and sorry about the mud...(Great for the skin though)
:D

6:50 PM PST  
Blogger Ernest said...

Hey Nick, Jason should be showing up today to continue a great tradition. Maybe we all can have a reunion someday OUTSIDE Iraq. I mean, if we're really bored n stuff. As far as antics go, they call me Spiderman...again.

Barbie! Thanks! But me thinks not all mud is created equal... ;-)

8:39 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home