Sunday, February 04, 2007

From Germany to Georgia: Perspectives on War

Talking to a German of some mental and philosophical acuity last week, he advised me that perhaps I’d better not mention to the average German that I had anything to do with Iraq. “Why?“ I asked. He said many Europeans think Americans are the equivalent of Nazis in Iraq, and that Guantanamo is like a concentration camp.

Isn’t that the thickest Irony that Americans are seen by Germans as Nazi-like??? Interestingly, he confessed readily that Europe would be run by the Nazis now if it weren’t for Americans, but lamented that his father lost 10 years of his life as prisoner of Americans in that same war. Your father came home healthy and whole though, didn’t he?” I asked.

So here I am in Ft. Benning. In-between seminars today, I caught a conversation between an older Iraqi translator gentleman(now an American citizen) and a Lady Lt.-Colonel. She was about to re-deploy to Afghanistan but when he found out she had served in Baghdad, he gushed forth with “Thank You Thank You Thank You” for her work in his country.

I talked with this lady Lt.-Colonel (whose name I did not catch) about that and she too saw much beauty in the Iraqi people. The whole experience was heart-warming and again I wished positive was more popular...


Taken by a soldier March 2004.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ernest I just knew you could not get Iraq out of your blood. I still remember you tossing your steel toe boots over the wire in front of building #255 prior to you departure. They still hang there today. I am glad you are back and I hope all is well. I still get a kick from your blogs. Keep your eyes and ears ready for the vote on Kirdish autonomy. i am expecting some fire works.

7:02 AM PST  
Blogger Ernest said...

Ziggy Baby! Nice of you to drop a line--what in the heck are YOU up to? I guess you are still at the shop if you can verify my boots are still there--that's great. Hope you are doing great. Let me know how those fireworks go...

Take care bud!

2:51 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home