Monday, March 26, 2007

The Team

Group photo

I think Americans are absolutely awesome. Take the company I work for, for example.

I sat outside a meeting of the heads of our company here in Iraq. I listened to astute identification of hitches in our armoring process. Then a formulative meeting of the minds to solve it. Setbacks that could stop the process are absolved with no delay in the quality and quantity of our output: The newly-armored vehicles keep making it to the soldiers on or ahead of schedule. There is no company that does what we do as well as we do. And there are thousands of other American companies best in their perspective fields. And if we did fail, another would arise.

Even amongst the “lower” ranks of this company are also found the adept and self-motivated problem-solvers and solution providers. In contrast I observe the other nationalities represented on this military base….although there are brilliant exceptions, as a nation, none comes close to what we do. None takes the initiative, the expense, the risk, the leadership.

I've got more to say about Americans I admire. If this has whetted your appetite, you can read the rest at my other blog, "My America". Just click on: America Does

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ernie,
I stumbled across your blogs tonight and I'm glad I did. Reading your thoughts and a first hand account of the situation in Iraq has been fascinating. Politics, of course, will always be a cause for intense feelings and debate and so it's often difficult for someone like myself, who has a tendency to straddle the political fence to separate the various "truthes" that are being bandied about.

I appreciate your clarity and your insight. Thanks for passing it on to the rest of us.

I didn't realize that you had gone back to Iraq, although I vaguely remember hearing about the first time you went. It's been a few years so you won't remember me but I'll pray for your safety anyway :D What an amazing opportunity you have to experience life in a different way, I hope that it's worth every minute! After all you're in the birthplace of civilization! If you ever get to go to Uruk or Ur send me some pictures!

Carpe diem!
Karen Rector

11:19 PM PDT  
Blogger Ernest said...

Hi Karen,

Nice to hear from you. Truth is certainly hard to discern in this age of limitless information.

And I do enjoy being here for many reasons, only one of which is to see the "real deal." It has been a grand experience so far on many levels!

I don't know if I will see personally the land of Ur, I assume you are talking about Abraham's homeland of mention? I'll be sure to let you know.

take care!
Ernest

12:25 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I believe that the Ur located there and Abraham's are one and the same... this region has lately become a fascination of mine. :) Iraq has such a rich history and predates the rest of the world when it comes to ancient cities. Iraq (Mesopotamia, Sumeria) is where civilization began. Uruk was one of, if not THE first city on the face of the earth. The Middle East was home to some of the most brilliant architects and engineers of the time. I envy you my friend, I'm dying to go traveling myself!

I guess my inner-anthropologist is showing... ;) I suppose it's a good thing I'm passionate about the subject since It's one of my majors! (Why go back to college, after so many years, just to study something that might fill your pockets but will also bore you silly?).

Life is such a wonderful adventure, and it sounds as if you are living yours to the fullest.

Karen

9:51 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home