Thursday, March 29, 2007

Always in the Fight

Dosky, nickname KC (standing)
Where there is right and wrong, there is a fight. The best and worst are drawn to it. Some do not participate and some even taunt the heroes. Qasim Dosky has always been a fighter. This is his story:

As an adult, Dosky was part of a Kurdish band of fighters known as ephemera, who defied Saddam. Evacuated to Guam when the US pulled out of the Gulf war in the 1990s, he became a translator for soldiers. When that work was done he was offered a place in America, landing in Lincoln, Nebraska. Eventually he moved to San Diego.

In Southern California he eventually became a cab-driver. When the current Iraq conflict began, he welcomed the news
. “I was so happy. The [U.S.] government finally decided to do the right thing that they should have done in 1991,” he said.

Dosky gathered members of the Kurdish community and stage marches in support of American troops. He gave free rides to service members. But he wanted to do more.

Applying to be a translator, he found himself in Fallujah. He wore himself out there and finally ended up in the relative calm of Kirkuk, still translating in service to both Iraq and America.


If an American guy is willing to come to die in my country, I should be there next to him. I’ll be more of a help to the troops now. I’m staying here until the end, until we finish this mission,” he said.

In the upcoming days, Dosky is slated to become an American citizen. And in my book, one both he and his home country can be proud of.

He is very excited.


My adoption of a Stars and Stripes article, I like his story not only because of his unquenchable desire to fight for freedom, but I too have spent much time in San Diego, Kirkuk, and Fallujah. I too admire and serve the American Soldier. Dosky is my kind of hero.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're MY hero Ernie!

11:40 AM PDT  
Blogger Ernest said...

Golly!

And you are mine too for being a soldier for the High Command yourself :-)

9:39 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! I cannot say enough about how great! (etc):D
dito"" Jules...

5:01 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home