Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sundays, Birthdays, and Holidays

One of my first nights here a great wind and rain storm knocked out the center support of our tent in the middle of the night. While one of my tent-mates watched it with his flashlight the rest of the night to see if it would come down on him, I went and snoozed out on the couch in the more solidly-built Recreation room.

Church with the Mormon Marines is in a little computer room. The Sacrament is administered from the top of a horizontal freezer and we have 6 to 13 Saints there for the one-hour service. Last week we did testimonies and this week we viewed a few Conference talks.

Today I sat down with two Marines outside the "chapel" and had a nice little chat. I love those guys! They know why they are here and are proud of it. They should be, every time I interact with our military I am very impressed with who they are and what they do. They feel they stand between the average Iraqi and Saddam-like terror, that they are the purveyors of freedom. I'd say they are right.

The camp celebrated the birthday of the Marines (Nov. 10th) with a very special party where each soldier got 2 beers each. Alcohol is strictly prohibited by the Military in Iraq so there had to be some very special permission from way up the command chain----shhhh! Don't tell. But apparently they really enjoyed the priviledge.

Veterans Day? We watched the Presidential ceremonies on TV and I personally thanked those two Marines (Anderson and Oliver) and relayed to them the gratitude I personally hear from great Americans when I'm home on break.

It's good to be here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home