Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Where's the Brains?

Another stop on my wine-and-dine trip is Sharjah. It is one of the more conservative city-states of the UAE (United Arabic Emirates). It’s a dry country, and by that I mean no alcohol; although it’s location by the Persian Gulf paradoxically doesn’t lend it much humidity either (mostly just heat). Today it was a mild 85 or so. But keep your shirt on and no shorts in public, please, modesty is required.

The locals are from many countries, India, Pakistan, and Egypt I guess, to name a few. But they all have olive skin and black hair, pretty much the same cut. Sighting a woman is unusually rare, and the men with their hand-holding, hugging, and cheek-kissing would make the denizens of Hillcrest (home of Gay-Mart) in San Diego blush.

At my hotel I got fancy dinners paid for, did the hotel work-out room and pool, and made it to the beach! Don’t worry, soon the honey-moon phase of my employment will be over and I will be in a figurative hell, K? So just let me enjoy this. Speaking of dinner, I had chicken, steak, lamb, and desserts galore! However, there was a dish named…Brain Salad.

I looked, and sure enough, it had plenty of sliced brains in it. I asked, “who’s brains are those?” The waiter didn’t know for sure but guessed it was “beef brains.” Now I enjoy sushi without much problem but I just wasn’t in the mood for something that interesting. Besides, I’m going to Iraq, why in the world would I have any brains???

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ernie,
Welcome back to the land of Babylon! Good to here from you again. Any Idea where your headed??? Back to C-7 perhaps? If you see Mike give him a big hello from me. Looking foward to hearing LOTS more of your antics again. Be safe bro, Nick.

1:27 AM PDT  
Blogger Ernest said...

Hey Nick, good to hear from you! Wish I could write more but for now all your answers are in the blog. I hear Mike is on R&R right now. B-3 is kinda weird already...

9:53 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home