Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Blackhawk UP!

I wish I wish I wish I had my digital camera with me...because riding in the helicopter was THE COOLEST. Just like on the news or a movie, looking out a rectangle side window with the outline of the machine gun in front, whirling 150ft over the tops of palm trees, muddy huts, acres of sand, and yes, even a beautiful blue/green lake!

When we passed over a village, kids would run out with both hands in the air, waving! I finally found out why...one of the gunners had bags of candy and he would target quite accurately a toss to those kids now and then. What a great PR move and everyone is happy.

Once, over a barren stretch, the gunners let out a few practice rounds on their side-mounted machine guns. It was all just way cool. The pilot flew very smoothly and we would swerve, hover, and switch positions with the other chopper from time to time. It was so cool to see so much of Iraq from such a vantage point.

Man I wish I had that cam to share some pics with you. The good part is, when I leave for vacation in a few months, I WILL have it with me. But that was a real kick in the pants for me, first time in a whirlybird...and the other best part? I got paid to do it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is not a real comment, this is a simple inquiry. I saw this link on the ward website, what is your email address? -Rachel
treechickee@hotmail.com

6:08 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home